Privacy and Cookies Policy
About this policy
The Data Controller (responsible for looking after your data) is the business owner at Haworth Holiday Lets. When we say “we”, “our”, “us”, etc., that’s who we’re talking about. We are committed to protecting your information and we believe you have a right to know how we will use it. This policy sets out the data protection principles we follow.
This policy covers our dealings with customers – people who have booked or are looking for a holiday with us. Please note that our customers must be over the age of 18 and we do not therefore collect personal information from children.
Data Protection Officer
Our Data Protection Officer is Julie King, who may be contacted via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via post, to Haworth Holiday Lets, 6 Sunnydale Park, East Morton, Keighley, West Yorkshire, BD20 5UF.
We generally use your data either on the basis of your consent, or based on a contract between us (e.g. when you book a holiday). You have the right to withdraw your consent. All our marketing communications via MailChimp include an unsubscribe link, to make it easy to withdraw consent. If emails come directly from us, please just email back with ‘unsubscribe’ in the title to be removed from our mailing list.
If you withdraw your consent (e.g. by opting out of marketing communications), we will stop processing your data as requested. Bear in mind if you have a holiday booked and you have not yet travelled, we’ll still need to hold onto your data, so we can process the holiday. That’s because the contract between us is the basis for using your data (rather than consent). For more information, see the “Legal basis of processing” section below.
If you are concerned about the processing of your data, please contact our Data Protection Officer (see above). If you are unhappy with our use of your data, you also have the right to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office, which supervises data protection in the UK.
You have the right to receive a copy of your personal data. You also have the right to request that we correct or remove your data, when there remains no legal basis for keeping it. Please note that when these rights are exercised, we will conduct identification checks in order to ensure your privacy is safeguarded. You will need to contact us by email or post, to exercise these rights
Personal information we collect
In order to provide you with the best possible holiday service, we collect the following information. This may be provided directly to us or through a booking intermediary:
Identification: name, title, nationality
Contact details: postal addresses (main and billing), phone numbers, email addresses.
Bookings: property booked, holiday start/end dates, cost of holiday, amounts paid, limited details of other people booked on the same holiday (names, age range).
Marketing preferences: whether you wish to receive email marketing information from us.
Payment: method, the last four digits of card numbers, payment card expiry date, amounts collected, third party payment service provider references. Please note that we do not capture or store your full card details: payment is handled by our payment service providers (see below).
Holiday experience: any feedback you leave, responses to customer satisfaction surveys. Guest book and online reviews of our properties.
Communication: Emails, texts, responses to questionnaires, competition entries, are all held by us.
Through our partnerships, we may receive some of the above information from other companies you use (e.g. other online holiday companies that feature our properties). In such cases, those companies must also inform you about their use of your data.
Electronic identifiers (Cookies)
We may send a cookie which may be stored by your browser on your computer’s hard drive. We may use the information we obtain from the cookie in the administration of our website, to improve the website’s usability and for marketing purposes.
Most browsers allow you to refuse to accept cookies. (For example, in Internet Explorer you can refuse all cookies by clicking “Tools”, “Internet Options”, “Privacy”, and selecting “Block all cookies” using the sliding selector.) This will, however, have a negative impact upon the usability of many websites.
How we use your personal information
We use your personal information to:
- Manage your holiday booking or enquiry
- Communicate with you, including for example, responding to your emails, messages on social media, handling customer service and so on
- Process your payments
- With your permission, send you relevant marketing information such as details of competitions and special offers we think will be of interest to you
- Manage competitions, promotions and special offers in which you participate
How we collect personal information
We receive personal information from:
- You, as you provide it to us (e.g. when booking a holiday, leaving a review or enquiring about letting a property)
- Your use of our website or social media
- Third party holiday providers you may book with, who advertise our properties
- Your interaction with our marketing activities (provided you have not unsubscribed)
- Third party review services such as TripAdvisor
Legal basis of processing
There are several grounds on which we will store and use your data. As follows:
- Consent: for certain types of processing (e.g. marketing activities), we rely on your consent to use your data. You may withdraw your consent at any time (see “Your rights”, above).
- Contract: much of the time, our use of your data will be because of the contract between us – that is, in relation to your holiday booking. We will usually retain relevant data for up to six years from the date the contract completes – e.g. the last day of your holiday.
- Legal obligations: we are under certain binding legal obligations, such as accounting to the government for tax and making financial records available for audit. In such cases, we are typically obliged to retain data for up to seven years from the date of the transaction.
- Legitimate interests: we use data to manage our operations and to make business process improvements. Rest assured, our legitimate interests will never override your right to privacy.
How we share your personal information
We will not share your personal information with any other organisation except for requests for reviews via our intermediary booking sites such as Freetobook, VRBO, Airbnb, Booking.com and Trip Advisor. In which case your email address and holiday booking dates may be entered.
We do not transfer your data outside the UK or the European Union.
Security of your data
We protect your data with various technological measures. We also regularly test and evaluate the security of our systems, updating safeguards as appropriate. and privacy and we immediately action breaches of confidentiality and privacy.
Payment service providers
In order to ensure your transactions are as secure as possible, we hand over payment card processing to the following suppliers:
Stripe, Inc. 185 Berry Street, Suite 550, San Francisco, CA 94107
Version – February 2021